- Course Fee Cost | $9,850.00
- Course Fee includes Student Kit valued at over $2,800.00 retail
- Type | Full Time
- Time | 22 weeks - Mon to Fri
- Humm Buy Now, Pay Later and Q Mastercard are available to eligible applicants. Instalment payments also available.
Our Diploma in Film, TV, Fashion and Special Effects is designed to provide you with the skills, knowledge and confidence to succeed as a professional makeup artist and hairstylist. This exciting and intensive course includes our Special Effects course which is a requirement for those wanting a career in film and TV.
This course is hands-on and classes are structured with theoretical discussions, visual presentations, and demonstrations followed by application of techniques in practical working sessions. Individuality and creating an original working style are encouraged. Our curriculum and your commitment to study will see you achieve a high degree of competency on completion. A professional photographer will also take photos of your final Fashion exam which are a great addition to your portfolio.
Our fabulous industry sponsors offer amazing prizes at graduation to our top students including M.A.C Cosmetics, MYKITCO, Dermalogica, L'Oreal, and an internship from South Pacific Pictures with the Shortland Street makeup department!
Your Student Kit includes M.A.C Cosmetics, a 12 piece MYKITCO professional brush set and kit bags, GHD straighteners and hair dryer, and various hair accessories and styling tools. All industry standard makeup and hair products including M.A.C Cosmetics for beauty and fashion work, Dermalogica skincare and Matrix hair products, and Special Effects tools and accessories are provided for your use during training.
- Course fees can be paid in full, by instalments, with humm, or Q Mastercard. More information on payment options is here.
- Day trips, visits from guest speakers and demonstrators are included in your course fee, as well as professional photographs of your final Fashion exam.
- Assessments and assignments are done throughout the course and four practical makeup and hair exams are held at the end with certificates issued to successful graduates.
- All students must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to attend the school. View our COVID-19 vaccination policy here.
Course Dates and Timetable
|July 2022||Mon - Fri||9.30am - 4.00pm||25 Jul 2022||14 Dec 2022||FT30|
|January 2023||Mon - Fri||9.30am - 4.00pm||31 Jan 2023||30 Jun 2023||FT31|
Our Diploma is made up of 4 modules, and includes one written and four practical exams.
- Face Shapes
- Brow shaping
- Product knowledge
- Colour theory and psychology
- Nude makeup
- Natural day makeup
- Evening makeup
- Fashion & editorial makeup
- False eyelashes
- Fantasy makeup
- Body washing
- High definition makeup
- Stills photographic makeup (colour and black & white)
- Mature makeup
Hair Styling and Wigs
- Product knowledge and hair care
- Understanding face shapes and profiles
- Catwalk hair design
- Straightening & creating different curl formations
- Setting hair using velcro and hot rollers
- Up styles, both traditional and contemporary
- Working with tools of the trade i.e. blow drying techniques
- Blocking, washing and caring for wigs
- Human hair, synthetic and lace front wigs
- Application of facial hair
- Application of stunt wigs and ¾ wigs
- Application of hairpieces
- Makeup for male actors and presenters
- Facial hair trimming
Special Effects Makeup
- Industry product knowledge
- Subtle ageing makeup
- Theatrical ageing makeup
- Blood types and application
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree burns
- Tattoo application and coverage
- Dirtying down, sweat, sunburn, windburn, death makeup
- Bruising, old and new scars, cuts and scratches
- Stab wounds, bullet wounds and split lip
- Body painting
- Industry standards
- Research and design of historical makeup
- Makeup application for various periods e.g. Elizabethan, 1920s, 40’s, 60’s and 80’s
- Industry standards
You must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and show evidence of this to attend the school.
Once a course has commenced all fees must be paid in full according to the payment option chosen.
You must be 16 years and over to attend this course. If under 18, your Application Form must be completed by your legal parent or guardian.
Once your application has been received you will be contacted by the school. Students applying for this course are required to attend an interview. If you are under 18 years of age a parent or guardian will need to attend the interview with you.
All students applying for this course are required to attend an interview.
This is an opportunity to discuss the course program and answer your questions. We’ll explain payment options along with any incidental course expenses and you are welcome to look around our studio and see our students in action.
If you are under 18 years of age a parent or guardian will need to attend the interview with you.
If accepted into the course we'll email you an Acceptance Letter outlining everything you need to complete your Registration, including details on paying your non-refundable registration fee to secure your place.
If the student withdraws from the course the following Withdrawal Fees apply:
- Course withdrawal 36 days or more prior to course commencement: The student will be refunded all monies paid for their course fee to date less the non-refundable Registration Fee.
- Course withdrawal 22 - 35 days prior to course commencement: The student will be refunded all monies paid for their course fee to date less a $1,000.00 Withdrawal Fee and the non-refundable Registration Fee.
- Course withdrawal 21 days or less prior to course commencement: The student will be refunded all monies paid for their course fee to date less a $2,187.20 Withdrawal Fee and the non-refundable Registration Fee.
Back to details Apply now